When Jake had the collection on Route 8, South of Franklin, the building had no climate control. A lot of condensation happened when the conditions were right for it and thus many of the metal parts of the instruments show a degree of rust.
The old G.C. Murphy building, which is our present location, had steam heat and added an A/C system in the 1960s. We had to replace both of them with a combined roof top unit.
We have done our best to reduce unintended air leakage, but we still have a humidity control issue. We want about 50% relative humidity, so in the absence of a big humidifier in the winter months, we keep the temperature at 50 degrees and humidify selected machines that show sensitivity.
Summer humidity in the basement required 4 dehumidifiers running full time to get to 50%. Further investigation found that the foundation was stone cemented in place. A pegboard covering with no vapor barrier was exposed. We started a project to put a vapor barrier in place behind the pegboard to prevent moisture entry. Over the last 4 years, we have done this in pieces, while also adding base plugs in selected areas while we had the peg board down. The last 150 feet of the barrier was added this past winter. While doing this, we found several direct air leaks, which we sealed.
This picture shows the stone foundation wall, a portion of the vapor barrier and the pegboard cover.
Our success is demonstrated by the fact that we now need only 2 dehumidifiers, one running part time, to consistently maintain the desired 50% humidity.
Aside from the humidity control, this saves us about $20 per month on the electric bill.