Thursday, October 19, 2017
Repairing a Reed Organ - Part 3
A Smith Reed Organ was brought to us for repair to playing condition. This was not a restoration job, just a repair to good playing condition.
In the past, we had wire brushed all rusty screws before reassembly. The advent of EVAPO-RUST has made this job a lot easier. Just put the rusty screws in a bottle of it, wait 24 hours and you have nice clean parts.
As we proceeded in reassembly, we found the root of the stuck stops problem was a transfer of parts between stop hardware, which once identified, was easily corrected.
As with most older wood mechanisms, there were some split parts which we glued back together.
With reassembly completed, we checked to see if all the reeds sounded and had to free a few stuck ones.
The final job was recovering the front grille with the corrected cloth.
At this point, the job is essentially done and the organ is ready to return to the owner.